Tuesday 27 January 2009

A Name Of Mrs Ox

In a post of Footiam I read about a game: a Chinese Astrology site. There I read that this year is a year of the Brown Cow. Than, because I was born in a year of Ox, the forecast for this year for me is not good. So I wrote in my Facebook page that I'm sad about it.

Here I post the conversation with one of my Facebook friends about it:
-This got my wondering, never heard of the Chinese sign Cow. It should be Ox, and this year is the year of the Ox
-The sign is Ox but female. Female of Ox has to be Cow or not?
-Not sure, I don't think so: "Oxen may comprehend both the male and the female". A man cow is a bull, female cow = cow.
Ox - cows = different 'species' ;-)
But not one to nit-pick
-Mmmm... something is wrong with the translation from Chinese, I think... Or our mentality is not the same with Chinese mentality...
I'm not so expert in English, so allow me a curiosity: if bulls and pxes are different species, what is the name of missis Ox? :-)))
-English is my second language too (Dutch). Mrs Ox = Mrs Ox I think ;-)
So, I read in the dictionary about it and found that
Ox is -bull;
-any representative of bulls-family
Bull is -bull;
-any representative of males of big animals (like whales, alligators)

So, Ox is the best word for the cause. But the year is a year of the female of the Ox. Is her name not Cow?
What is the name of Mrs OX?????

На лугу
Read Other Bulls Stories (4) in this blog
qq

4 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

Well here is the answer:

There is no such thing as a female 'ox'. The correct definition of an ox is a steer (a castrated bull) that is four years or older.

They are not different species at all :O)

Liudmila said...

Dear Babette, I did not remember when I laughed so!!!!

Is it possible this mix of errors that will translate from Chinese to English and from English to other languages!!!

Incredibly!!!!!

footiam said...

It should be a cow then. Over here, speaking for myself, I don't know what an ox is until a teacher says it is a cow. And don't be so sad over the predictions. That's all for fun and it won't be very accurate especially since it does not take into consideration many other things like date and time of birth, the element factors etc.

Liudmila said...

I don't believe all the "forcasts" normally. But I was sad that day and wanted some consolation...

Subscribe ping fast  my blog, website, or RSS feed for Free

Search This Blog