Tuesday 25 January 2011

Baby Mexican Beaded Lizard

What a nice notice received I now! I post it here with my great joy and admiration. I'm sure, you will bewitched by this beauty so as I am! Here is the notice and the photos:

A baby Mexican beaded lizard, one of only two species of venomous lizards in North America, hatched on January 16, 2011 at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Beaded lizards have venom glands in their lower jaws that allow them to chew venom directly into their prey. There is no anti-venom to counteract a beaded lizard bite.

Zoo staff named the new beaded lizard "Gaspar" to honor Tampa’s annual pirate festival Gasparilla, during which beads are tossed out from parade floats. The hatchling can be viewed at Jambo Junction until it reaches adult maturity, and then it will join the adventure park’s four other beaded lizards in Curiosity Caverns

Photo Credit: Matt Marriott/Busch Gardens Tampa Bay

No comments:

Subscribe ping fast  my blog, website, or RSS feed for Free

Search This Blog