Tuesday 22 April 2008

'Parrot Of The Night'

Do you like KAKAPO? (Great name, eh?)
You can't not love them. They are so incredible!

I've seen a film about kakapo for the first time some years ago. Yesterday my husband found an other film about them and fortunately called me to come (I had to cook something to eat) but I saw only the last minutes of the story. So I wanted to read last news about this bird today and found a site with a blog of the rangers from the place where the kakapo live.

This is the address of the site: Kakapo Recovery Programme
and the photo is form this site, clear.

There are only 86 kakapo. But the very nice news are that they have 7 babies! 4 girls and 3 boys!

Forgot to say it: they were practically extinct because of the rats that humans took in New Zealand. These parrots can't fly, they walk. And they walk in a very funny way. And they need very great territory.

I found a video!

6 comments:

Babs (Beetle) said...

That is a very unusual parrot! It looks magnificent.

Liudmila said...

I love parrots generally but when I saw this for the first time I fall in love just in the same moment. Hope these heroic persons will be able to save them.

footiam said...

This is the first time I see a Kakapo! Nice!

Liudmila said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy and love them too. Look at more photos in their site, sooo lovely and cute!

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Very interesting parrot, the kakapo. I have never heard of this bird. I like it a lot. I hope they don't become extinct.
--JB

Liudmila said...

I'm very happy that I could make you, all my friends, meet this miracle. :)))

Subscribe ping fast  my blog, website, or RSS feed for Free

Search This Blog